These three sons of Abraham and Anna Rifkin joined their father in the family business.
  The U.S. Patent for Rifkin-Alls invented in 1922 by Jack Rifkin, son of company founder Abraham Rifkin

Abraham and Anna Rifkin with their children in 1891 shortly after their arrival in America. In White Haven, Pennsylvania.
In 1891, the Rifkin family fled the religious persecution in Czarist Russia to begin a new life in the United States. They were processed for immigration through Castle Garden, and following a brief stay on New York's Lower East Side, they settled in the community of White Haven in northeastern Pennsylvania. Abraham and Anna (Heller) Rifkin brought with them their six children, the oldest 11 years old, the youngest six months.

In White Haven, they joined the families of Anna's brother and sister (the Hellers and Friedlands). They began to work as farmers, although they had little experience and conditions were poor for farming. Meeting with little success, the families searched for another way to earn their income. Soon, this enterprising group discovered that there was a need for work clothing in their small town. Using heavy-duty denim materials, the group cut and sewed work clothing which they sold to farmers and other workers in the area.

Searching for more customers, Abraham Rifkin made the 18-mile journey from White Haven to the city of Wilkes-Barre. There, the coal mining industry was thriving. The miners liked the quality of the work clothing that Abraham had to show. The family realized very quickly that the city of Wilkes-Barre would be a much better location for their work clothing business. In 1892 the Rifkins, Hellers and Friedlands moved to Wilkes-Barre. They manufactured work clothing and at the same time added a variety of dry goods items to their line.

They began to operate as wholesalers, selling dry goods as well as the work clothing line to the various retail establishments which were springing up throughout the greater Wilkes-Barre area. Later that same year, in a rented building on the corner of South Wells and East Northampton Streets in Wilkes-Barre, the firm of A. Rifkin & Co. was established. It partnered Abraham Rifkin and his brothers-in-law, Sol Heller and Barney Friedland (who remained for only several years before returning to New York), in the selling of wholesale dry goods and the work clothing which they continued to manufacture.

In 1903, after 11 years of hard work, the business had developed to a size which permitted Abraham Rifkin and Sol Heller to purchase a three-story brick building, 40 feet wide and 120 feet deep, at 39 East Northampton Street in Wilkes-Barre. At this point, A. Rifkin & Co. became a major part of the wholesale business of the area. It grew and prospered, with the dry goods portion of the business being conducted on the first and second floor of the building and the manufacturing of overalls and other work clothing on the third.

After nearly twenty years, the partnership of Abraham Rifkin and Sol Heller was dissolved in 1911. David (Dave), Jacob (Jack) and 'William (Will),. three sons of Abraham Rifkin; joined their father in the business until November of 1922, when Abraham Rifkin passed away at age 67.

Contact Us | On-Line Catalog | About Rifkin | Home

Orders and Inquiries 570-825-9551 Toll-Free 1-800-458-7300 Fax: 1-800-825-8284
Privacy Policy | Copyright Statement